Machine Learning Engineer
Microgenetics exists to help mankind win the war against pathogens. We identify problems in microbiology that were previously impossible to solve and develop new technology to solve them. We are an exciting start-up backed by the UK’s fastest growing pharmaceutical company (Qualasept Pharmaxo) aiming to revolutionise microbiology.
We are currently working with partners in the pharmaceutical manufacturing and veterinary diagnostics sector to develop our products:
- SmartControl – Environmental monitoring software that seamlessly captures images of every sample to ensure data integrity with zero capital expenditure.
- SwiftDetect – A rapid test that can detect the presence or absence of a single cell in a large volume in under six hours, using our hybrid PCR technology.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for a passionate and talented machine learning engineer to join our growing team to help us become the world leaders in applying artificial intelligence techniques to microbiological data. We have already begun to apply supervised learning techniques and wish to develop this much further. Your creativity and love of problem solving will be essential skills to succeed in this role. As part of working for a start-up, the role will be varied and is likely to evolve as we grow, and you will have a high level of responsibility and ownership in your role.
What you’ll do
The machine learning engineer will work in close collaboration with other scientists in the team and Microgenetics management. Your role will report directly in to the Head of Operations.
- Take diverse datasets and identify key features that can be used to learn new insights
- Work with our microbiologists to understand the capability and limitations of existing microbiological techniques and how AI might support this
- Suggest novel techniques for collecting and interpreting data
- Design and implement ML algorithms to the datasets you have helped to build
- Support in developing all Microgenetics products and pro-actively contribute ideas for future product development
- Work with the software development team to integrate your researched methods into our product releases
What we’re looking for
- A PhD in Robotics, Information Engineering, Computer Science or a related field. Exceptional Masters graduates will also be considered dependant on experience.
- Two plus years of Machine Learning related work with a focus on implementation
- Experience with common programming languages (e.g. Python, C/C++, Java, Matlab) and machine learning frameworks
- Understanding of and ability to implement common ML techniques such as SVMs or neural networks
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills. Ability to build rapport quickly.
- Initiative, innovative creativity and tenacity to achieve objectives and overcome obstacles
Even better if you have…
- Knowledge of software delivery methodologies, including agile development
- Experience with microbiology
What you’ll get
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- 21 days holiday + 8 days bank holiday (increasing with service)
- Generous company pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Company bonus scheme (dependent on profit goals)
- Free breakfast and outdoor gym
Microgenetics is based in a new science park development in Corsham in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy commutes from Bath, Bristol and Chippenham.
Come and join us in revolutionising microbiology.
If you would like more information about this position or would like to apply with covering letter and CV, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is – Sunday 6th January 2019. Interviews will take place week commencing 21st January 2019. You will be contacted by Tuesday 8th January 2019 if you have been shortlisted for an interview.