10 January 2020
Permanent full time, 37.5 hours per week
Based in Corsham, Wiltshire, UK
Microgenetics exists to help mankind win the war against pathogens. We identify problems in microbiology that were previously impossible to solve and develop new technology to solve them. We are an exciting start-up backed by the UK’s fastest growing pharmaceutical company (Qualasept Pharmaxo Holdings Limited) aiming to revolutionise microbiology.
We are currently working with partners in the pharmaceutical manufacturing and veterinary diagnostics sector to develop our products:
- SmartControl: Environmental monitoring software that seamlessly captures images of every sample to ensure data integrity with zero capital expenditure.
- SwiftDetect: A rapid test that can detect the presence or absence of a single cell in a large volume in under six hours, using our hybrid PCR technology.
We are looking for a Lab Technician to join Microgenetics to support the development and provision of SwiftDetect as well as support the research of future products. This highly sensitive microbial detection test will replace traditional sterility testing and validation activities within the pharmaceutical manufacturing sector. We are also developing the test for use in other sectors with two current projects in agriculture (testing for Bovine Tb and testing for a crop pathogen).
What will be expected of you
The Lab Technician will work in close collaboration with other scientists in the team. You will support the Microgenetics R&D activities and SwiftDetect service provision, and your role will report to the Principal Scientist.
- Provide support for R&D activities and the provision of the SwiftDetect assay
- Contribute to the R&D activities by generating and analysing experimental results.
- Support the day-to-day functioning of the lab – this will involve various tasks, for example: environmental monitoring, maintaining stock levels, preparing solutions etc.
- Participate in regular discussions with the scientific team and disseminate results.
- Maintain documentation systems and filing of all relevant records, reports and other documentation associated with projects
- Work in the Laboratory in a safe and effective manner and in accordance with the recommendations of the Guide to Good Laboratory Practice, local procedures and all relevant safety regulations including Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) and report risks and poor practices.
- Commit to participate in out of hours working when required to meet the needs of SwiftDetect service provision.
What we are looking for
- Degree/HND/HNC in Biology, or a related Life Science, or equivalent laboratory experience
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment
- Basic laboratory skills
- Good oral, interpersonal and written communications skills
Even better if you have:
- Experience of using nucleic acid amplification technologies
- Experience working to a Quality Management System
- Basic microbiology skills
In return we offer rewards and benefits including:
- Salary range £21,000 to £25,000 per annum (dependant on experience, knowledge & skills)
- 29 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays (increasing with service)
- Generous company pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Company bonus scheme (dependent on profit goals)
- Additional non-contractual benefits; free breakfast and outdoor gym
Microgenetics is based in a new science park development in Corsham in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy commutes from Bath, Bristol and Chippenham.
Come and join us in revolutionising microbiology! If you would like more information about this position or would like to apply with covering letter (including an overview of laboratory work and relevant experience) and CV, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is Monday 20th January 2020. Interviews will take place from 29th to 31st January 2020. You will be contacted by Wednesday 22nd January if you have been shortlisted for an interview.